STEP is OpenGate’s first level leadership development course, developed in partnership with our wider Salt & Light Advance family of churches. Over 4 months, a rhythm of discipleship groups and training sessions will help you step into the call of God to lead as a Christian at work, in the community, at college, or in the church.
The course includes understanding the call to godly leadership, learning to lead ourselves, getting passionate about Jesus, learning to read the Bible well, missional living, discipleship, and leading with vision -
STEP has 7 sessions in total - 3 Saturday mornings and 4 Sunday evenings. This year running from March to June 2022. Between each session there will be short reading, study or other activities to do in your own time.
STEP is for
- anyone in one of the OpenGate churches who is willing to grow in leadership and
- willing to be personally mentored (if you don't already have a mentor we will help you find one) and
- part of a small group
To find out more emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
What is STEP?
A rhythm of discipleship groups and training sessions to help you step into the call of God to lead as a Christian at work, in the community, at college, or in the church.
What does STEP cover?
Modules include biblical and practical teaching on:
- Getting going in leadership - learning to lead ourselves and others well, wherever God calls us
- Leaders love God - fostering healthy spiritual rhythms
- Leaders know the Bible - tools on how to study the Bible for all its worth
- Leaders share life - steps into missional living
- Leaders live in the Spirit - the gifts God’s given us and how to use them for His glory
- Leaders love people - what is pastoral care and how to ensure people are cared and grow as disciples?
- Leaders work together - learning our own strengths and weaknesses, growing together
- Leaders take people with them - the importance of developing vision for ourselves and catching the vision that God has given us for the things He’s given us a passion for.
- Leaders are sent out – prophetic commissioning for life-long learning
Each module includes a 40 minutes session (live or video), and group discussion/mentoring (see below). Between each session there will be short reading, study or other activities to do in your own time.
How does mentoring work?
Taught modules are followed by a small discipleship group called a Huddle, where we ask “what is God saying to you about your character and/or skills, and what are you going to do about it?” There’s an important element of accountability in this group too, as we’ll ask you the next time we meet if you did what you’d say you’d do! This is where we can tailor the course to individual learning and development, so that no matter what stage you’re at, there’s an invitation to take key steps towards God’s plan for your growth in maturity, knowledge, skills and character.
A key part of the course is the personal pastor relationship - someone in your local church who, like a personal trainer, runs alongside you through whatever life throws your way, prays for you, encourages and challenges you to push deeper into God. They will help you unpack things that we might begin to tackle on the course, and can help you progress your goals and plans between modules and huddles to get the most out of the course. If you’ve already got someone who plays this role in your life, we’ll continue to develop that relationship through the course; if you don’t think you have someone yet, we’ll endeavour to get you started as soon as we can.
What are the STEP dates for 2021-22?
- Modules 1 and 2: Sat 5 Mar 2022, 9.30am-12.30pm
- Module 3: Sun 20 Mar 2022, 7.30-9.30pm
- Module 4: Sun 3 Apr 2022, 7.30-9.30pm
- Modules 5 and 6: Sat 30 Apr 2022, 9.30am-12.30pm
- Module 7: Sun 15 May 2022, 7.30-9.30pm
- Module 8: Sun 12 Jun 2022, 7.30-9.30pm
- Module 9: Sat 25 Jun 2022, 9.30am-12.30pm (date tbc)
Saturday sessions are in-person. Sunday evenings are online.